Thursday, August 29, 2013

Quinoa, the Best Thing Since Gluten-Free Beer!


What is quinoa you ask?

qui·noa
noun
a tall crop plant, Chenopodium quinoa,  of the amaranth family, cultivated mainly in Peru, Bolivia, and Chile for its small, ivory-colored seed, which is used as a food staple.
And why is it so great?
First you must know that I love starches. Potatoes, beans, and wheat. But I especially love RICE! Do you know what all these things have in common? None of them are primarily gluten-free. This made my transition into the DDP Yoga lifestyle a little more daunting that I 1st imagined, until one day Joelle (my wife if you haven't been reading this blog long) discovered quinoa!
At 1st I was sceptical.
It looked like rice. It kinda had the same consistency as rice. Hell, it even had a similar smell while it was cooking! Only one thing was left to do, see if it tasted like rice.
And...
It took a moment, but DAMN this was good. I loved the after taste the most. It left me wanting more. This opened a whole new world of possibility! Asian style stir-fry cuisine that was before forbidden with my gluten-free lifestyle was now within reach using fresh veggies, grass fed beef, gluten-free marinade and quinoa! It has become my go to side dish and has made living this life easy! No more mashed potato and rice cravings, I'll take a helping of quinoa please.
Now that I've shared a gluten free treasure, what are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment