Thursday, September 12, 2013

Why be gluten-free?

"Why be gluten-free?"

That is the question my wife asked me this week. And to be honest, I had to think about it for a minute. I didn't want to say because that's what the program says to do, that's an answer for weak minded people and I don't usually just do what I'm told so I needed something better. As an agent of independent thought, I did just that, I thought about it.

What I came up with is that I just don't need it. Gluten has nothing in it that I need to thrive in my everyday life. In fact, for the current lifestyle that I have chosen it flat out gets in the way. For example, a main ingredient in gluten is Lectin. Lectins are associated with insulin resistance, higher blood pressure and higher inflammation levels and those are things that I can do without. So right there in my explanation I found my answer. I simply don't need it. It produces no unique value to my daily diet and if anything gets in the way of my search for a more fit existence. It isn't always easy, some gluten-full foods are truly tasty treats. But as long as I have my Redbridge (Gluten-Free beer from Anheuser- Busch) I am good to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment